Slides from Sourcepole presentations at the online FOSS4G 2021 conference Buenos Aires.
- Cloud optimized formats for rasters and vectors explained
- The state of Vector tile servers
- Geospatial programming with Rust
- Using game engines for 3D geospatial development
Cloud optimized formats for rasters and vectors explained
Cloud Optimized GeoTIFF (COG) and FlatGeobuf support efficient access to raster and vector data using the HTTP protocol.
This talk explains how this works behind the scenes (hint: HTTP GET range requests) and what this means for efficient use of these formats.
- Cloud Optimized GeoTIFF (COG): https://www.cogeo.org/
- FlatGeobuf: https://flatgeobuf.org/
- PMTiles: https://github.com/protomaps/PMTiles
- COPC – Cloud Optimized Point Cloud: https://copc.io/
The state of Vector tile servers
Mapbox Vector Tiles are in heavy use since about 5 years now and still one new tile server implementation gets announced every year at least. This talk shows an up-to-date overview of the available technologies and their use.
Geospatial programming with Rust
Rust is one of the emerging new programming languages which is well suited for geospatial applications and especially libraries. It was originally developed by Mozilla as a long-term replacement for C++. It’s a modern language with excellent tooling and Stack Overflow’s most loved language for four years in a row. This talk gives an introduction into Rust and an overview of the current state of geospatial libraries and applications.
Using game engines for 3D geospatial development
When it comes to 3D graphics, computer games have been the technical leaders for decades. The game engines behind it have only recently been discovered by GIS manufacturers. This talk introduces game engines in general and the leading open source game engine Godot in detail. It also shows the status of integrating GIS data, which will play an increasingly important role in the age of AR and VR.
- Godot: https://godotengine.org/
- Blender: https://www.blender.org/
- geodot-plugin: https://github.com/boku-ilen/geodot-plugin
Godot demo project (WASM)Navigation:
- Camera movement: Left Mouse / Arrow keys
- New blocks: Space
- Generator: DEM Net Elevation API
- Digital Elevation Model: SRTM_GL3 OpenTopography
- Imagery: MapBox Satellite
- Data: OpenStreetMap